We're looking for an energetic and enthusiastic Ecologist to join our team in South Africa!
Role Title: Intern Ecologist
Location: Cape Town, with extensive travel in Southern Africa
Salary: ZAR3,000 per month + accommodation
Contract: 14 month fixed-term position (contract may be extended)
Our mission at Wildlife & Ecological Investments is to provide self-funded conservation, research and training programmes in areas of ecological importance in Southern Africa. WEI’s applied research projects provide conservation managers and provincial governments with an evidence-based framework for decision making in best-practice management.
We are recruiting an Ecologist to join our young and dynamic team. The incumbent will be responsible for:
- Assisting the development of new and exciting research programmes, including the drafting of research proposals for new potential partnerships;
- Creating applied research reports for existing partners;
- Creating a GIS support framework for our research sites;
- Database management and the analysis of existing datasets;
- Assisting the ongoing development of accredited university courses and community environmental education programmes;
- Assisting undergraduate dissertation students with project design and data analysis;
- Developing potential grant opportunities to increase organisational capacity;
- Presenting research ideas and findings to reserve managers, governmental institutions, and conservation partners.
Qualifications & Experience: MSc in Ecology, Conservation Science, or related area. A proven background in data analysis and report writing, and applied experience with GIS and DISTANCE sampling. A background working on research projects in developing countries, especially in Southern Africa, will be an advantage. The position requires proven interpersonal and motivational skills, as well as a passion for conservation.
To apply please send a CV and covering letter outlining your suitability for this role to firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline for this position is Monday 26th May.